There are some desserts that just stand out from the rest when it comes to both visual appeal and taste, and this tres leches cake is one of them. The best part is that it’s a very basic recipe, and one that you probably already have the ingredients for in your kitchen. Another great thing about this cake, is that the cake portion can be made the day before it’s served – and that’s always convenient, especially if the cake is for a party or special occasion.
Since the cake is covered in whipped cream and fresh strawberries, it only takes about thirty minutes the day-of to make the frosting, slice the strawberries, and decorate before serving.
This cake is adapted from Garlic Girl’s Naked Strawberry and Honey Cream Cake.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 11/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature, cut in pieces
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped Cream Topping
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With butter, grease 8-inch, square cake pan and cover the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the paper too, and lightly dust pan with flour.
- Sift flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in bowl of stand mixer. With paddle attachment, blend on slow for 10 seconds.
- In small bowl, lightly whisk eggs with ¼ cup of the milk and vanilla extract; set aside.
- To the dry mixture, add the butter and beat on low for about a minute until combined. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup milk until incorporated into dry ingredients.
- Increase speed to medium and blend for about 1½ minutes until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Add egg/milk mixture in three parts on medium speed, scraping down sides and bottom at least once. Beat for another 30 seconds until batter looks airy and smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until light golden brown and toothpicks come out dry when inserted in the top center. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then on wire rack until room temperature.
- For whipped cream, beat heavy cream and granulated sugar until stiff peaks. Add vanilla extract and beat 30 seconds until combined.
- Generously cover cake with whipped cream and smooth to desired look. Top with sliced strawberries.